Several years ago we made a ton of changes to the way we clean. We had already decided weren’t going to be putting toxic food in our body, so it didn’t make a lot of sense to be cleaning off the places we prepare the food with bleach based products. So “Clean Eating” was followed by “Green Cleaning”.
I have tried a LOT of different “green” cleaning products in the past few years and here is what I have learned.
- You can make a lot of your own cleaning products with vinegar, baking soda and water. But I always found that they took a LOT more elbow grease to get things clean. And I don’t dig the strong vinegar smell.
- You can get products labeled “green” that aren’t really all that green.
- You can spend a lot of money on products that are better for the environment but don’t do all that great of a job of getting things clean.
- Or you can find products that are good for the environment but are killer on your wallet. Green Cleaning can be super pricey.
Last week I had the pleasure of learning all about a new line of natural cleaning products made by Walmart. True to form, their prices are very competitive with their non-environmentally friendly counterparts. Walmart’s Great Value Naturals have recently launched and they offer a multi-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, laundry detergent, and dishwasher detergent.
I was sent a sample of their product offerings and let me tell you what I love about these products:
- They actually clean without any extra effort or steps. No seriously. For real.
- They contain no harmful chemicals or toxins so they are safe around kids and pets!
- Non-allergenic (especially important in a laundry detergent)
- Fragrance free so no passing out from overwhelming bleach smells
- Come in containers that are easily recycled
- Very affordable (Laundry Detergent: $8.97 for a 100 ﬂuid ounce bottle, Multi-Surface Cleaner: $2.47 for a 32 ﬂuid ounce sprayer, Glass Cleaner: $1.98 for a 32 ﬂuid ounce sprayer, Automatic Dishwasher Gel: $3.97 for a 75 ﬂuid ounce bottle)
Here are the drawbacks for the Great Value Line:
- Not found in every Walmart store yet. But can be found in over 2000 stores and online. They hope to have them in all stores within the year (find out if they are carried near you here).
- Made in Canada (this doesn’t really bother me, but I know it does some people).
- Limited products in the new line. I would love to see a toilet bowl cleaner, and their dishwasher detergent in gel pac form (I was happy to learn they have plans to roll out new product offerings in the next few years).
Overall I am really impressed with the new Great Value Naturals line of products. The prices can’t be beat and they are very effective cleaners. Now that there are such affordable natural cleaners, I hope that they become the only choice for consumers. Here’s hoping!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Walmart and The Motherhood. As always, all opinions are mine.