Last week I told you about a way I was making shopping with credit cards easier and safer. But how about even safer? It seems like every day we read about a new security breach from Target to Home Depot to Jimmy Johns. Not to mention they all seem to happen at the stores I shop at the most!
Identity theft scares the heck out of me ever since I saw “The Net” back in the early 90s. But I must admit I mostly feel completely helpless to do much about it. But here are five things you can do when you here of a security breach at a store you have recently frequented:
- Monitor your transactions: Check your bank records and look for any purchases you know you didn’t make. Make sure this is a joint effort between you and anyone else who is using the same accounts (spouses, children, etc.)
- Report suspicious transactions immediately: No matter the size, contact your bank or credit card immediately if you notice a supicious charge.
- Order a new debit card: If you believe your debit card number was compromised, don’t wait for fraudulent charges to appear on your statement. Because it is linked to your bank account, you run the risk of a criminal depleteing your whole bank account. Request a new card from your bank immediately. Also, keep in mind that credit cards offer more protection and less risk because funds are not directly withdrawn from your bank account.
- Follow the story: Watch for communication from the retailer involved in the security. Often times they provide additional information specific to their incident.
- Consider using an identity protection service: LifeLock provides identity protection products and services you can count on. In fact, with LifeLock Advantage™ and LifeLock Ultimate Plus™, they can help you detect fraudulent activity with alerts for cash withdrawals, balance transfers and large purchases within our extensive network.
LifeLock is the leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services. They have been around since 2005 and have over 3 million members. They offer 3 layers of protection: Detect, Alert, Restore. If a threat is detected you are notified by text, phone, or email and can quickly respond if the activity was yours or not.
LifeLock offers 3 levels of service: LifeLock Standard, Life Lock Advantage, and the new LifeLock Ultimate Plus. There is something for everyone’s individual needs. Just for my readers, if you enter the promo code BREACHWATCH, you will receive 10% off the protection plan of your choice.
Put your mind at ease and check out LifeLock today!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of LifeLock. I have been compensated for this post but all words and opinions are 100% mine.